Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rant: WTF!? Walk your f-ing dog on a leash!

I've made a tiny note in our rant column about folks who walk their dogs off lead but after this morning's rainy walk which featured an off-lead pit bull running at my dog and I, nipping on her flank, I feel the need to expound on this rant. Incidentally, I found it odd and slightly disconcerting that the owner, who had another dog in addition to this pit bull (which was on a leash barking at us), gave his dog commands (which it did not heed) in German. Nothing more comforting than an attack dog that doesn't understand English, the language I would be screaming in.

Unless your dog obeys your commands without failure, even with distractions, it should never be off lead in an open, un-fenced area in the only six contiguous strips of grass in a 10-block area (i.e. where everyone walks their dogs). There are dog parks in the area and if you want Mitzi and Ralph to be able to run free and barrel towards other dogs at will, for fucks sake, go there. I'm absolutely over the dog owners here. I think I'm going to start carrying a bat.

No comments: